Friday, November 11, 2011

Is there an easy way to tell what order the outlets on an electrical circuit are in?

Our house has three electrical circuits for the entire basement (originally unfinished). As the previous owners and we have finished parts of the basement, one of these circuits has had too many outlets & fixtures put on it (three computers, a space heater, various lights). Another circuit has only two outlets on it, which are seldom used at all. I would like to take about half the outlets/fixtures on the first circuit and put them on the second (that would make the load on each reasonable). To do this, wouldn’t I have to know which outlet/circuit comes first, second, third, etc., on each circuit, so I know where I can interrupt it and connect it back to the breaker box? I do have a circuit map which shows everything on each circuit — how can I figure out the flow from one outlet to the next without being able to physically trace the wires, which are (obviously) behind the walls? Do I just have to (turn power off first, of course) disconnect the wires at one outlet/fixture, then turn

No comments:

Post a Comment