Monday, November 14, 2011

Ransomeware malware attack on new system?

I friend of mine called me today, saying he was locked out of a brand new system that he had purchased. I asked him what was displayed on the lockout screen and he replied that it was a red screen, specifying various information and asked for a pword. Also on the screen a phone number was displayed, the user was told to call the number to receive the pword. The phone number on the screen was the same as the place in which they purchased the computer from. After a little bit of research I discovered that this fits the description of the malware ransomeware. Presumably, if my friend phoned the number a patient on the other end would demand cash in exchange for the pword. My friend has no intentions of even calling the phone number. I recommend he attempt to reformat his operating system, but it turns out one didn't even come with the system. The ransomeware was obviously placed their by the store in which he purchased the system. I would like to emphasize that this is a NEW system, it was not previously used. Is this reportable to the police? Should he phone that number?

No comments:

Post a Comment